|H.S.H. Hans-Adam II|
Following the formal accession
of H.S.H. Hereditary Prince Alois, most of the
collection will be transferred to a permanent display in the Liechtenstein Garden Palace in
Austria, near the embassy. U.S.
The collection originated mainly as an effect of Franz Johann II’s penchant for the collection of fine art. He and his predecessor, Johann II (who led the country from 1929 to 1938) – and many of their predecessors – accumulated what is now one of the finest art collections in the world. The intricately decorated book-covers and cases of manuscripts were cherished as art; the manuscripts they held were probably seen as secondary items when purchased. But new assessments of these rarely seen books, undertaken by a team of scholars sponsored by H.S.H. Hans-Adam II, has elicited a new appreciation of their value.
The Biblical manuscripts in the
Ecclesiastical Archives of Liechtenstein include
● Seven incomplete minuscule copies of the Gospels in Greek, including one from the 900s. Most feature the Eusebian Canons and a few attached pages.
|A medieval Gospels MS |
with an unusual reading in Mark 1:2.
● Three Latin Book of Hours, from different medieval periods. One of these features some Greek notes accompanying passages taken from the Gospels.
● Five Ethiopic lectionaries, with texts on illustrated pages.
● A majuscule fragment, written in both Greek and Latin, containing
Luke 24:17-25, found unbound in an antiphonary, which was obtained by Carl
● An ancient Latin lectionary once owned by Massimiliano Soldani Benzi.
More information about the plans to publish and display these documents can be found by visiting the website of the Liechtensteinisches LandesMuseum.
|The Liechtenstein Garden Palace, in Vienna,|
future home of the collection.